Urgent recovery started in Zaporizhzhia: we report on Dobrobat’s achievements for the past week
Dobrobat volunteers steadily continue to help Ukrainians to rebuild their homes. Thousands of people need our support because the Russian troops do not stop terrorising the civilian population, ruthlessly smashing homes. In addition to Kyiv, Chernihiv, Kharkiv, Sumy and Mykolaiv Oblasts, where construction battalions operate already, the Zaporizhzhia branch has also started operating.
In total, about 300 volunteers joined the urgent recovery of the country last week. In Kyiv, OblOblastolunteers spent several days building the home of a large family in Zagaltsy. It was affected by an enemy “strike” during the village occupation back in March. The roof of the house was broken, and missile fragments damaged the walls. Volunteer groups repaired the timber roof truss, insulated the roof, made underlays and finally painted the facade to keep the children warm in winter. The new media ambassador of Dobrobat, Diesel Show comedian and actor Yevhen Smoryhin also visited the facility in Zahaltsy. The performer talked to volunteers, supported the victims and gave a mini-concert, singing songs and playing the guitar.
The reconstruction of an older woman’s home in Velyka Dymerka also took several stages. First, the volunteers installed the roof, replaced two gables and mounted new windows and glass units. In Kozarovychy, they restored the roof as well. A team of 10 volunteers visited the site four times. In Irpin, they helped locals with debris removal at two addresses. Moreover, Dobrobat volunteers completed the urgent restoration of a house in Horenka funded by the Estonian NGO Mondo. Two children live in this house together with adults, one of whom is elderly. As a result of the explosions, one child had a concussion. Dobrobat volunteers dismantled the damaged slate and the old roofing, completely rebuilt the roof, arranged new metal roof tiles, and replaced the broken windows and glass units with new ones.
The Chernihiv Dobrobat team tirelessly helps the Ianivka community residents. Every day groups of 20 volunteers go to the locations, repairing roofs in the victims’ houses.
In Sumy Oblast, the Romny Construction Battalion volunteers repaired the roof of the outpatient clinic in Pustovyitivka. They dismantled metal and concrete structures at the site, fixed new rafters with collar beams, and a slate roof. In Okhtyrka, together with a team of utility workers, the rubble was removed from the city council building destroyed by ruscists shelling in early March. The work will continue this week. The roof of an 8-apartment house in Trostyanets, where older people live, is in the final stage of restoration. For about a month, Sumy and Romny’s team volunteers keep fixing the room’s roof. Now it is almost wholly replaced, and soon after installing the windows, the house will be protected from rain and cold.
We support the liberated territories to warm them up after living under occupation. The Kharkiv Dobrobat branch Volunteers rallied together to fix the roof of a 5-story building in Izyum. Volunteers went to the city, fixed the rafter, lifted a new slate onto the roof, and began assembling it. Half of the roof has already been restored.
We are rejoicing at the start of the urgent restoration in Zaporizhzhya. Zaporizhzhya Dobrobat team helped clean up the Khortytsia National Educational and Rehabilitation Academy. Three enemy “strikes” destroyed the premises’ roof, windows and greenhouses. Volunteers cleared the building of broken glass and window frames. They then covered the broken windows with OSB boards.
We fight side by side! That’s the only way we will make it through, win, and rebuild our country. Thanks to the volunteers for their solidarity and kind hearts.
We appreciate your support:
- ◽Ministry of Communities and Territories Development for funding the purchase of construction materials for reconstruction in the Ivanivka community;
- ◽Office of the President of Ukraine;
- ◽Michael Vasylevsky Charity Foundation for providing construction materials in Demydiv;
- ◽People’s Deputy Olha Vasylevska-Smahliuk and Maksym Petliovanyi for organising the reconstruction in Demydiv;
- ◽Volodymyr Pidkurganny, head of the Dymer community, and Natalia Kalchenko, the deputy of the Dymer community, for organising accommodation and meals for the volunteers at Morewell;
- ◽Olena Shvydka, Head of the Ivanivka community, for arranging lodging and meals for volunteers at Yahidne;
- ◽Hilti company for providing tools to work on the sites;
- ◽NGO Mondo for financing the reconstruction of private houses in Horenka and Hostomel;
- ◽to Activia Ukraine company for providing yoghurts and vouchers for volunteers;
- ◽Eurasia restaurant chain of Japanese and European cuisine for lunches for volunteers;
- ◽to Educational Human Rights House Chernihiv for resource support of volunteers in the Ivanovo community;
- ◽Influencer Lyudmila Lutsuk for financial support for the urgent housing restoration of the Zahaltsi family;
- ◽BAZILIK practical school of communications for a donation to rebuild destroyed homes